Friday, January 21, 2011

Goodbyes Can Be Gifts

Last night I had some drinks with a good friend of mine, Kristy.  A few months ago, she made a decision that she was tired of living in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.  Tired of the same people.  Tired of the cold weather. Tired of the familiarity. 
She's wanted out for awhile, so when her best friend moved to Florida several months ago, she decided now was the time to go.  To explore a different area (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) to be exact.  To meet new people. Basically, to expand her horizons. 

I figured I'd be sad. I'm known to hold friends near and dear and really depend on them as vital parts of my life. But last night, sitting with her, I realized she's getting over her fear of leaving her hometown and making something happen for herself.  She doesn't have a job, but she has a place to live and her best friend there to ease the transition.  The job will eventually come, I'm sure of it. 
I thought "Wouldn't it be selfish of me to be upset? Or sad?"  She is basically leaving her life behind and going into the unknown, albeit with a safety net. I realized I couldn't be more happy for her. She'll still come home to visit, she'll still call, and, believe me, I can't wait to visit.
So while most look at goodbyes as sad times or reasons to put their heads down, I've decided, at least in this particular instance, that a goodbye can be a gift.  It's a gift for her to get over any type of fears of leaving, as well as for having the drive to go out in the world and embrace new situations and experiences.
She's following her gut and looking to better her life.  We should all be so lucky to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment